Swedish Relaxation Massage
Swedish Massage, also known as Holistic Massage, is the cornerstone of all Western forms of massage. This style of massage is very relaxing and perfect for clients wanting to rest and enjoy so ‘me’ time in a calm tranquil healing space. The strokes used in Swedish Relaxation Massage are very light and performed in a slow rhythmic manner that helps calm the mind and allow you to become more attuned with your body in a soft and gentle way. I use either a nurturing massage wax or oil/essential oil blend for this treatment This style of massage is not intended to treat injuries or deep/chronic muscle tension/musculoskeletal problems, for that please look at the Massage and Manual Therapy page.
1. Who can benefit from Swedish Massage ?
Anyone in need of deep relaxation and a de-stress, whilst this is not a treatment for specific musculoskeletal problems it can create a deep sense of rest and relaxation in the body and mind. Regular Swedish Massage clients include amongst others…
- Massage Therapists
- Yoga Teachers
- Graphic Designers
- School Teachers
2. How does Swedish Relaxation Massage differ from other forms of massage?
This is a very slow and gentle nurturing body treatment unlike remedial or sports massage which are deep, intense and fast also there are very few or no joint articulations / joint mobilisation techniques used. Unlike Thai Massage this style of massage doesn’t use strong joint stretches and articulations to induce relaxation, the slow rhythmic motion of the therapists hands create a relaxation response in the recipients nervous system which translates into a sense of rest and ease in the body. If you are new to massage this is the perfect treatment to start with.
3. What are the Benefits of Swedish massage?
Deep relaxation and rest for body and mind
Reducing and dispersing inflammation across the body
Increases well-being, helps you release stress... and just feel better
4. "I’ve never had a Swedish massage before what can I expect during my treatment?"
At the first appointment a short consultation is undertaken and areas of tension or other issues are noted down. The treatment starts with you face down on the heated couch with a blanket covering your body. Only the part of the body being worked on is uncovered during this treatment unlike Lomi-Lomi which works the whole body at the same time. The massage usually begins with a nice long back/neck shoulder massage and from there the lower and upper limbs are massaged and if time allows the head and face. Hot towels are used on the feet and head to add an extra depth of relaxation.
For Swedish Relaxation Massage I either use a natural massage wax which can be with or without essential oils. Massage wax allows greater contact with the body for a slow glide…which feels lovely... or I have a small range of Organic Aromatherapy Blends by NHR Organics, you can choose which one suits your requirement on the day
- 'Samadhi' ...Deep Relaxation - organic essential oils of : Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Clary Sage
- 'Elixir' ...Muscle & Joint Aches - organic essential oils of : Rosemary, Lavender, Clary Sage, Sweet Marjoram
- 'Sensual' ...Sensual & Luxurious - organic essential oils of : Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Neroli
5. How long are Swedish treatments and how many will I need?
Swedish Relaxation Massage treatments can be enjoyed as often as you like, treatments range from 60, 90 minutes up to 2 hours in length. When doing Relaxation Massage I leave plenty of space between clients to create a relaxed no-rush, healing space
6. Therapy Room
I work from home and have a light and bright dedicated therapy room with a fully adjustable, heated electric couch with extra thick comfort padding and comfort headrest to allow for extended treatments of 90 minutes and two hours
7. 2019 Prices for Swedish Relaxation Massage
All Therapies are charged at the same rate ...except for Lomi-Lomi which is + £10 as indicated. For all treatments, unless otherwise indicated, the usual appointment length is 45 ...or 60 minutes with the option of follow up treatments of 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes.
30 minutes ….. £35
45 minutes ….. £40
60 minutes ….. £50 (£60 Lomi-Lomi)
90 minutes ….. £70 (£80 Lomi-Lomi)
120 minutes … £90 (£100 Lomi-Lomi)
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF BOOKING : Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice are charged 50% of the appointment fee, missed appointments are charged in full. NEW SATURDAY appointments require a 50% non-refundable deposit; applies to first time clients only. NEW LOMI-LOMI appointments require a non-refundable 50% deposit, applies to first time clients only. Deposits can be paid over the phone by card or by bank transfer.
Monday / Tuesday / Thursday / Friday …… 8am - 6pm
Saturday …… 7.30am until mid afternoon
8. Booking an appointment or making a general enquiry
Text message is the best way to contact me, I can usually reply between appointments.
9. Qualifications and Training
Andrew Brown - NAMMT (RMAdv)
Professional Associations - Registered Member Of
- NAMMT - National Association of Massage & Manipulative Therapists
Qualifications & TrainingAdvanced
- Hendrickson Method Practitioner (level 5)
- Advanced Remedial Massage Diploma - Northern Institute of Massage (level 5)
- Dr. Vodder method of Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage (to Therapy 1)
- Level 4 Sports Massage & Sports Injury Management (ITEC)
- Advanced Strategies in Deep Tissue Massage & Myofascial Release (Art Riggs)
- Provision of Remedial Exercise
- Introduction to Strength & Conditioning
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Somatic Movement Coaching HSE Level 1
- Tui Na - CPD
- Holistic (Swedish) Massage ITEC Level 3
- Aromatherapy Pre-blends ITEC Level 3
- Onsite Chair Massage
- Detox Massage
- Thai Massage (Levels 1 & 2)
- Hawaiian Facial Massage
- Lomi Lomi Hawaiian Massage Diploma
- Reiki Level 1 & 2 since 1999 ...Master/Teacher Level since 2006
- EFT Advanced Therapist
- Traditional Ear Candling