Massage and Manual Therapy
Combining these advanced bodywork techniques ...Advanced Remedial Massage, The Hendrickson Method of Soft Tissue Massage & Manual Therapy for Orthopaedic Conditions, somatic Movement, Tui-Na Chinese Medical Massage, Remedial Exercise ...for treatment of musculoskeletal restriction, pain and discomfort.
1. Who can benefit from Orthopaedic & Advanced Remedial - 'Massage and Manual Therapy’ ?
Regular clients include...
- OFFICE WORKERS ..neck, shoulders and low back pain, headaches / migranes
- FARMERS ... back back, shoulders, neck pain
- HAIRDRESSERS ...beck, shoulders, back pain, frozen shoulder
- LONG DISTANCE DRIVERS ...Sciatica and low back pain, disc problems
- NEW PARENTS ...Muscle strains from carrying youngster
- BUILDERS / MANUAL LABOURERS ...back pain, hip pain and injury
- MASSAGE & BEAUTY THERAPISTS ...mid back and low back pain and tension
- ARTHRITIS SUFFERS ...inflammation and pain with restricted movement...hands, back, neck
2. How does this type of bodywork differ from other forms of massage?
This is much more than a relaxation massage, it’s a targeted bodywork system that isn’t just sports focused. An orthopaedic style assessment process is used to rule out anything which may require medical attention or a different type of therapy such as physiotherapy. This information is used to create a specific treatment plan which is reviewed according to your needs.
The techniques that can be used in this treatment are ...
- Advanced Remedial Massage which utilises focused, deep, soft tissue massage and joint mobilisation techniques to ‘remedy’ a problem
- Somatic Movement ...gentle home exercise movements for releasing muscle tension
- Remedial Exercise …home stretching and strengthening exercises
- Hendrickson Method of Soft Tissue Massage & Manual Therapy. This method can be very light and gentle making it very effective for reducing pain in conditions such as spondylosis and spondylitis where remedial or sports massage would be too intense. It can also be applied very deeply to help with chronic conditions of joint restriction and deep muscle tension. HM uses a unique combination of three techniques to bring about optimum results in treating orthopaedic condition…these are (shown below) 1. Wave Mobilisation 2. Joint Mobilisation 3. MET (Muscle Energy Technique)
- Tui-Na Chinese Medical Massage & Manual Therapy ...deep massage through the clothing with joint mobilisation and articulations combined with acupuncture point stimulation to balance the bodies energy system promoting rapid healing, balance and well-being.
Wave Mobilization therapy features strokes that are rounded, scooping movements performed perpendicular to soft tissue in repeated rhythmic cycles. They are applied at a frequency of approximately 60 cycles per minute, which matches the ideal resting heart rate. Wave Mobilization therapy is extremely relaxing and profoundly healing.
Joint Mobilisation: The joints and their surrounding soft tissue are typically the primary source of pain in a body. Acute injuries often result in swelling, loss of joint motion, and the inhibition of normal muscle function by neurological reflexes. Chronic joint problems, whether due to degeneration or dysfunction, are almost always the result of misaligned and restricted joints, which prevent normal movement. Hendrickson Method includes specific protocols for treating acute and chronic joint problems that are efficient and effective in reducing pain and restoring normal movement.
The third modality used by Hendrickson Method Practitioners is Muscle Energy Technique (MET), which addresses the nervous system. By having clients actively resist gentle, strategic applications of pressure, practitioners promote the rehabilitation of malfunctioning nerves. MET also helps strengthen weak muscles, eliminates trigger points, relaxes chronically tight muscles, and improves the range of motion of joints.
3. Massage and Manual Therapy benefits
- Improved range of motion of joints and limbs
- Acceleration of soft tissue healing
- Reduction of inflammation across the body, reduction in pain
- Reduction of muscle spasm which can interfere with normal posture and movement
- Improvement in overall well-being and enjoyment of life
When used as a course of treatment or as an on-going management tool the benefits include:
4. What happens during an appointment ?
At the first appointment a comprehensive consultation is undertaken to screen out anything which may require medical intervention or a different type of therapy. This is followed by an assessment of the areas of discomfort and a general postural assessment to help identify areas of imbalance across the body. The information is recorded and used to formulate the treatment plan; this usually takes 20 minutes. Treatment is a combination of different Advanced Massage and Manual Therapy techniques such as the Hendrickson Method …which can be done through clothing...other techniques such as Advanced Remedial Massage are directly onto the skin using lubricants either. Gentle Somatic Home Exercises and Remedial Exercises are given to help you with on-going self-management.
Elderly or disabled clients need to be accompanied by a chaperone
5. "How many appointments will I need and how long are they ?"
This depends on the severity of the problem. The first appointment is usually 60 minutes in length and includes consultation / assessment / treatment. This can be 90 minutes if preferred. Chronic neck and shoulder tightness/pain with tension headaches can often ease significantly after two to three treatments of once a week... or bi-weekly. A lot of my clients come in for maintenance massage to help with long-term issues and support with general well-being, this is usually once every 4 to 6 weeks. Regular maintenance massage significantly helps with the management of long-term issues of musculoskeletal pain/tension and improves well-being.
Elderly Or Disabled Clients Need To Be Accompanied By A Chaperone.
6. Therapy Room
I work from home and have a light and bright dedicated therapy room with a fully adjustable, heated electric couch with extra thick comfort padding and comfort headrest to allow for extended treatments of 90 minutes and two hours.
7. 2021 Prices and Appointment times for 'Massage & Manual Therapy'
Appointment Times & Prices ...(varies)
Mon / Tues / Thurs / Fri ....& every 4th Saturday
9am / 11am / 1pm / 3pm / 5pm
Lomi-Lomi and Mobile Massage priced separately, please refer to those pages for details. All other therapies charged at the same rate as follows:
60 minutes ….. £55
90 hours ….. £75
Mobile Massage ...click for further information and prices / availability
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF BOOKING :
- Cancellation Charges ... unless the appointment can be filled
- Less than 48 hours 50%
- Less than 24 hours 100%
- Missed appointments 100%
8. Booking an appointment or making a general enquiry
Text message is the best way to contact me, I can usually reply between appointments.
Elderly or disabled clients need to be accompanied by a chaperone
9. Qualifications and Training
Andrew Brown - NAMMT (RMAdv), Dip. Tui Na F BH®
Professional Associations - Registered Member Of
- NAMMT - National Association of Massage & Manipulative Therapists
- CNHC - Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council
Qualifications & TrainingAdvanced
- Tui-Na / Chinese Massage and Manual Therapy Foundation Diploma (Body Harmonics)
- Hendrickson Method Practitioner (level 5)
- Advanced Remedial Massage Diploma - Northern Institute of Massage (level 5)
- Dr. Vodder method of Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage (to Therapy 1)
- Level 4 Sports Massage & Sports Injury Management (ITEC)
- Advanced Strategies in Deep Tissue Massage & Myofascial Release (Art Riggs)
- Provision of Remedial Exercise
- Introduction to Strength & Conditioning
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Somatic Movement Coaching HSE Level 1
- Tui Na - CPD introduction (Gateway)
- Holistic (Swedish) Massage ITEC Level 3
- Aromatherapy Pre-blends ITEC Level 3
- Onsite Chair Massage
- Detox Massage
- Thai Massage (Levels 1 & 2)
- Hawaiian Facial Massage
- Lomi Lomi Hawaiian Massage Diploma
- Reiki Level 1 & 2 since 1999 ...Master/Teacher Level since 2006
- EFT Advanced Therapist
- Traditional Ear Candling
- ‘Pregnancy Massage’ gateway